Edith is not unlockable, because she was cut due to balancing/design issues!
Edith is an unused character in the Antibirth expansion. She is unable to walk normally and instead moves around by teleporting to a cursor on the ground, similar to items such as Epic Fetus.
- Edith cannot receive red heart containers. If an item would grant her a red heart container (including an empty one), it adds a Soul Heart instead.
- Edith's teleporting ability can be used to destroy obstacles, doors, walls and all fire places.
- Edith's teleporting ability can also be used to damage other enemies by landing on them. The damage will increase as her damage stat goes up. She also becomes invincible for a short while after each teleport.
- Edith travels through rooms by moving the cursor through doors. Her speed stat affects the speed of the cursor.
- Most regular strategies usable for ??? can be used on Edith as well.
- Edith can open normal doors by landing on them, this allows you to travel through rooms quickly and safely.
- This is a crucial strategy for Edith, as agile enemies such as Willo can be extremely annoying for her to deal with.
- Edith can deal damage to enemies by landing on them, as well as making her invincible for a short period. This can be used to either kill other enemies or dodge projectiles by quickly teleporting around.
- Edith's teleportation does not remove the invincible effect from Gnawed Leaf, so as long as she does not do any actions that would normally remove the invincible state, she will remain invincible.
Items that Edith would have potentially unlocked include:
- Edith was originally supposed to be a secret character similar to The Lost and Keeper, but was cut as the author of the mod didn't have enough time to balance Edith before release. The author claims that the character may be implemented in a later update.
- Her character code is 103, she can be accessed by doing memory modifications using Cheat Engine and she's fully playable.
- In some Jewish traditions, Edith is the name of the wife of the biblical Lot (who is otherwise never named), who turned into a pillar of salt. This is further supported by Edith's white coloration (akin to salt), her petrified look, and her inability to move.
- Edith's teleportation deals explosive damage upon landing, however she cannot open bomb chests by landing on them.
- Edith can still receive red heart containers if she is revived by the effect of Dead Cat.
- Defeating The Witness as Edith for the first time can trigger an unlock. But it is unknown what it could be since the cutscene of said unlock is shown as an empty paper.
- It also applies when defeating Mom's Heart for the first time as Edith.